Have you already visited Moscow, Saint –Petersburg and Golden Ring? Actually, it’s still too far from the complete acquaintance with our immense country! We suggest you to spend a weekend at Pskov land, the main outpost of defense in North-west, and get to know about features of life at the border where the cities and monasteries turned into impregnable citadels. You will visit Pskov that could compete in size with Paris in the 16th century and learn what «Pogankin's chambers» are, and how Pskov's churches differ from Moscow ones. You'll take a stroll along Pskovo Pechersky Monastery that throughout its existence has never been closed. You'll get acquainted with the life of a medieval fortress in Izborsk. Join this tour and add one more piece to the puzzle called Russia!
DAY 1. ST.PETERSBURG – PSKOV
- Departure to Pskov from St. Petersburg by coach (330 km)
- Arrival in Pskov
- Lunch in local restaurant (Russian cuisine)
City tour including:
– the Pskov Kremlin, Dovmont`s Town
– Fortress towers, Pokrovsky complex
– the Holy Trinity Cathedral, the monument to Alexander Nevsky
– Pskov temples and parks
- Visit of ancient Miroshski Monastery famous for its frescoes of XII c.
- Check-in at the hotel****
DAY 2. PSKOV – PECHORY – IZBORSK – BREAD FARM – PSKOV – ST.PETERSBURG
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Departure to Pechory (49 km)
- Excursion of Pechory Holy Dormition Monastery
- Departure to a town - fortress Izborsk (23 km)
- Excursion of Izborsk fortress and visit Slovenian springs
- Continue to Bread Village - a rural spot in the village of Sorokino (23 km)
- Master class of bread baking or gingerbread making
- Lunch in the village cooked with food grown and made in this area
- Return to Pskov (33 km)
- Transfer to St.Petersburg (330 km)
DURING THE TOUR YOU WILL SEE:
- Pskov is one of the most ancient Russian cities located at the confluence of the Velikaya and Pskova rivers. It's a homeland of Princess Olga, the first Christian ruler in Russia. The city has been mentioned in chronicles since 903 year. Your sightseeing tour will start with Krom (the Pskov Kremlin), the core of Pskov Fortress, spread over an area of 3 hectares and long considered the best in the country. Due to powerful fortifications Pskov has firmly taken its place in the history of Russia becoming a key defensive point in the northwest. During your tour to the Kremlin you’ll also visit the Holy Trinity Cathedral. The modern 78-meter temple is the fourth in a row on this site, the first was founded in the 10th century by order of Princess Olga. At the end of the sightseeing tour, you will visit the Transfiguration Cathedral of Miroshski Monastery where you can admire unique pre-Mongol frescoes of the XII century created by Greek masters and preserved almost in full.
- Pechory is the most western city of Russia (except for Kaliningrad) located on the border with Estonia. The beginning of the city was laid by the Pskovo-Pechersky Monastery in 1392 when the first Orthodox hermits settled in local caves. The architectural complex of the monastery was creating during XV-XIX centuries and many ancient buildings have survived to this day. During a tour of the monastery you'll get to know the history of this famous abode having become a stronghold of Orthodoxy in the volatile western region. Over time it transformed from a small hermitage into a medieval citadel surrounded by a powerful stone fortress wall with nine watchtowers.
- Izborsk – is a small fortress built in 1330 on Zheravia Mountain to protect the western borders of Pskov Land. It had endured 8 major sieges before it was taken by troops of Stefan Batory for the first time in 1581. The tour of Izborsk is a unique opportunity to immerse into the life of medieval fortress as this is one of several ancient Russian bastions that have come down to us without significant restructuring.
- Bread Farm is a farm in the village Sorokino where you can touch the real village life, learn how to bake gingerbread, know about the history and traditions associated with festive baking in Russia. You will enjoy a real Russian lunch with local products while your baking pieces are in the oven.
|The cost of such an event||from 170 euro per pax (in groups from 30 pax)|
- Share with friends: